Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Feeling Serene

As in Wow. Just Wow. Yes, I took myself to see Serenity today. I'm still processing it and want to see it again and again, but for now, I'm just basking in the afterglow. I laughed, I cried, I cried again, I smiled. I absolutely don't want to say anything that could come close to being a spoiler. I know some folks like to know what's gonna happen in a movie or TV show, but I'm so not one of them and I think the impact of events in this one will be diminished if viewers know ahead of time. And while I know a lot of folks have seen it already or don't plan on seeing it, there will be no spoilers here. I've read that some critics thought it felt too much like a TV show. Given how I felt the TV show felt more like parts of a movie at times, I didn't have a problem with the tone. The show usually felt as if it was straining against its bonds. This really opened it up. It also had some wonderful camera angles, a feel all its own. And there's a sense of sheer joy and wonder in this admittedly dark realm that Geoge Lucas once was able to attain but no longer.

Meanwhile, I want me a pair of these lighted slippers, link curtesy of Boing Boing.

Feeling:

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:35 PM

    I must be living under a rock! I have no idea what Serenity is. I will however, on your recommendation, check it out as soon as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Serenity is the movie by Joss Whedon, of Buffy the Vampire fame, based on his science fiction/space opera/western TV show, Firefly, that lasted less than a season on Fox a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and have a chocolicious day!