Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Musical Night

As a prelude to tonight's oldies concert, I reminisced about my early music memories on Retro-Spective.

The other man's grass is always greener
The sun shines brighter on the other side
The other man's grass is always greener
Some are lucky, some are not
Just be thankful for what you've got


Tonight's concert at Westbury was Petula Clark. It doesn't feel right to call her performance an oldies concert. She did new songs and old, ones she's written and some show tunes, including two by Stephen Sondheim. And of course, she did her biggest hits. She also told some show business stories, including dancing with Fred Astaire for the movie "Finian's Rainbow."

She was in fine voice, very beautiful, very powerful. She really commanded the stage. The show was in the half round, so no revolving, and she was the only act, with a band. She also looks fantastic for a 72-year-old woman.

Lyrics to the songs she's sung or still sings are on her site, if a bit hidden. In an interview in the NY Daily News (8/23/05), when asked about being known as the woman who sang "Downtown," she said:
"I'm sure they will. And that's all right. The '60s was a fantastic moment. In my shows, I always cover the '60s. I just don't dwell on them. I do a wide range, including new songs I've written."

And that she does, giving one of the most varied musical performances we've seen on stage. Only Neil Sedaka equaled her for variety.

"...But people talk about my music in a lot of ways. They'll say I'm an actress who sings, or a ballad singer or a rock 'n' roller. I think I'm a little of each."


My Love
(Tony Hatch)

My love is warmer than the warmest sunshine
Softer than a sigh
My love is deeper than the deepest ocean
Wider than the sky

My love is brighter than the brightest star
That shines every night above
And there is nothing in this world
That can ever change my love

Something happened to my heart
the day that I met you
Something that I never felt before
You are always on my mind
no matter what I do
And every day it seems I want you more

Once I thought that love was meant
for anyone else but me
Once I thought you'd never come my way

Now it only goes to show
how wrong we all can be
For now I have to tell you every day



Feeling:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting and have a chocolicious day!