Sunday, August 07, 2005

Gum Update

I thought I'd post this for the 1 or 2 of you eagerly wondering if I had luck with the gum removal. Someone on one of AOL's writers' message boards had suggested WD40. A later suggestion was for GooGone, but we'd already gotten the WD40, so I tried that.

Hubby found it yesterday afternoon. He had other things that were similar for de-icing but since we didn't know if they had the same active ingredient as the WD40, I wanted to be sure to use the WD40 which had been recommended. The small bit of gum to the side came right off when I brushed at it with a toothbrush, with no sign of a stain. The bigger glob of gum needed a second try, and that ended up taking out some of the dye. I've now washed it 3 times, and now, $4.50 later (for the coin-operated machines in our laundry room), the jeans still stink. I have them airing out and drying on the terrace. There's a fairly large light splotch where the gum used to be, so I don't think I can get away with wearing them to work, anymore, but they should be wearable. Provided they ever stop smelling.