Sunday, August 07, 2005

Gum Update

I thought I'd post this for the 1 or 2 of you eagerly wondering if I had luck with the gum removal. Someone on one of AOL's writers' message boards had suggested WD40. A later suggestion was for GooGone, but we'd already gotten the WD40, so I tried that.

Hubby found it yesterday afternoon. He had other things that were similar for de-icing but since we didn't know if they had the same active ingredient as the WD40, I wanted to be sure to use the WD40 which had been recommended. The small bit of gum to the side came right off when I brushed at it with a toothbrush, with no sign of a stain. The bigger glob of gum needed a second try, and that ended up taking out some of the dye. I've now washed it 3 times, and now, $4.50 later (for the coin-operated machines in our laundry room), the jeans still stink. I have them airing out and drying on the terrace. There's a fairly large light splotch where the gum used to be, so I don't think I can get away with wearing them to work, anymore, but they should be wearable. Provided they ever stop smelling.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:18 PM

    Oddly enough I devoted a couple of entries in my Kosovo blog to chewing gum. It was stuck to my sock - no don't ask.

    First of all I'm glad you didn't try de-icing fluid. It is not at all similar to wd-40. WD-40 is a lubricant and moisture disperser not a deicer. Rememeber it is one of the two actual benefits from the American space program. The other was teflon coating.

    Anyway if it isn't too late try putting the jeans in a freezer. You may find that once it is frozen really hard the gum will just chip off. Do allow them to warm up before wearing though!

    The other suggestion was to use peanut butter which apparantly softens and dissolves the gum.

    Unfortunately peanut butter was unobtainable in Prishtina at that time and I didn't have a freezer. I used ice cubes on it and got most of it off.

    Good luck
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone posted the peanut butter cure. I don't have that, either, since I detest peanuts. At least, I'm not allergic.

    Years ago, I'd tried ice on gum, but it worked rather poorly, I thought, leaving a residue that never came out. I don't recall if I actually left the garment in the freezer, tho.

    The gum seems to be gone now, tho they still smell a bit, but I'll be able to see for sure once they're actually dry. It's the fading in that spot that's visible. I had to do a second coat of the WD40 because the first time didn't get all the gum and paper towel (I sat on that in the car to protect the seat cushion) which is probably why some of the dye came off. They're still drying. I don't use a dryer cuz no matter how low I set it, my jeans shrink.

    I'd never heard of WD40 before, tho the can looks vaguely familiar.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and have a chocolicious day!