Monday, July 04, 2005

Firefox

So I downloaded it. First time, nothing opened. It said it couldn't find my webpage or it's own Firefox Start page. I reinstalled, then it was fine, or so it seemed. It froze when I tried to update the template here by adding a Firefox button to the footer. This blog looked very odd in Firefox, but was readable. I went to IE, saw that the update had taken. Then I couldn't get any pages to load in Firefox, same error message. I tried IE again; it was fine. I'm updating this on IE. I still have AOL, which I have no intention of giving up, and I'm keeping IE, because I like how Blogger blogs look in it and I've heard from others that they have had trouble updating Blogger blogs with Firefox. So now I've got a button here promoting a browser I don't know if I'll ever be able to use, which kinda sucks. I've heard so many good things about it, but so far, it's a real letdown. Anyone have any idea why I can't make it work? Is it cranky because I didn't say it could be my default browser?

UPDATE: After an hour of weaving my way through Mozilla's Firefox Forum, I finally found a discussion about error messages similar to mine. Most of the fixes either didn't work or weren't relevant. One seemed promising, but my PC wouldn't cooperate, but 2 reboots later, I got my Norton Firewall open, saw Firefox hadn't been allowed internet access. I fixed that and it seems to be working. Time will tell.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:13 AM

    i checked the site out on firefox, yeah it does look weird..

    so far for me, firefox has been good, its been loading pages super fast, but i havnt really noticed a shift in the page loading till i saw your site using firefox..

    i use AOL's internal browser mostly, but using firefox more often sometimes, just cause of the speed.. sorry i cant help on the tech side,, hope u can get it working.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I never had a problem with speed, not since I went to the cable modem. Cyber Chocolate, cuz of all the Java in the sidebar, didnt load any faster than when on IE.

    I have now installed and uninstalled and installed Firefox 4 times now. This last time it seemed to be working fine. Let me read my gmail, let me check my Bloglines subs, then in the middle of that, it told me the connection was refused and I got that message for the other sites I then tried.

    And it's not my cable modem or connection that I can see cuz AOL and IE come up fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:42 PM

    That's too bad. I love Firefox, but since my husband does all the technical stuff, I can't help you figure out what's wrong. I've only seen the blogs on Firefox. Now, I'll have to go back and look at them on IE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:19 PM

    "...saw Firefox hadn't been allowed internet access."

    That WILL cause a problem. (evil grin) Then again, I would never, ever use Norton Firewall -- way too flaky. They just don't do extensive beta testing "out of house." So their products are never ready for primetime when released. Sort of like expecting all library patrons will only what to read what the librarian has placed on the Recommended Reading List.

    I do not use IE or AOL's browser if I can avoid it (sole exception is windows updates, which refuses to work with anything other than IE). I haven't had the problems you describe, so I'm guessing that it is a conflict with the Norton. I have noticed that Firefox is more sensitive to line quality issues than the AOL/IE browser, but that may simply be a result of differences in default settings, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been told a variety of reasons why IE and Firefox render Blogger's blogs differently, alternating in blaming either IE or Blogger, and even Firefox, for how it reads Blogger's codes.

    I have not had a problem with Norton before. It's caught a few threats, protected my PC nicely, and usually configures internet access automatically for new software, updates, etc. For some reason, it didn't do so for Firefox. Now that I manually set it to allow it, Firefox is working fine.

    I also like AOL and its security features. I hardly ever get popups there since I upgraded to Optimized SE.

    I rarely use the browser in AOL, and if a page won't open there, it will on IE. I can see I'll be using all 3 now because they each have features I like and Blogger seems to work best with IE.

    I must admit, Wil, I'm still not sure what your problem was with Malt Shop's colors, unless it was the Firefox issue with ignoring the white background of the entries for the black background of the wrapper.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and have a chocolicious day!