Saturday, October 02, 2004

Fun & Interesting (I Hope)

Quotations that warmed my heart, found on Sweet Dreams. My favorites are:

Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat.
John Lehman (1942 - ), Secretary of the Navy, 1981-1987

Ahhh. A man with a sharp wit. Someone ought to take it away from him before he cuts himself.
Peter da Silva

Say what you will about the Ten Commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

*** *** ***

From J-Walk Blog: Every lava lamp lover's dream site -- oozinggoo.com.


Saw a couple of books in Barnes & Noble today that looked interesting:

Yiddish with Dick and Jane by Ellis Weiner and Barbara Davilman.

Dave Gorman's Googlewhack! Adventure by Dave Gorman, of course.

And I must get the DK DC Comics Encyclopedia. The cover by Alex Ross is gorgeous. It was heavy and I didn't want to carry it home in the rain, or I would've gotten it today. Maybe I'll pick it up this coming week.

*** *** ***

And because this blog is eclectic, matching my interests, it's time for some baseball talk.

The Mets' season is wheezing to a close and I am already hopeful for next year. The new VP in charge of everything baseball, aka he has autonomy (supposedly) to make all baseball decisions), Omar Minaya, is one of the best minds in baseball. I liked Jim Duquette who took a demotion the other day when Minaya was introduced. I feel bad for Duquette, but I liked Minaya when he was first with the Mets, and I'm glad they met his terms -- autonomy -- so he would return to Flushing (NY). First major piece of business for him is hiring a new manager. I am sure he'll make a good choice, but as a NYer, I reserve the right to be pissed off if I don't approve.

Now if only the hockey labor dispute can be resolved so there will be some sort of hockey season, I'll be content to wait until 2/15, the traditional day for pitchers and catchers to report for spring training. Without hockey, I'll start getting the baseball itch sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting and have a chocolicious day!