Tuesday, October 26, 2004

An Entry in Search of a Title

This is a fun link. Someone sent it to my boss. Socks.

Ten Geekiest Hobbies, found on Very Big Blog. I was relieved to have only 2 of these hobbies -- Star Trek (tho I no longer enjoy Enterprise) and Comics. I would have scored 3, but I gave up Star Wars long ago.

There was a comment on The Malt Shop re: the poor color combination of background and text. Given that the background there, and for all my blogs except this one and the ones on AOL, is white and I try to use dark or medium dark contrasting colors, I found that odd. Then again, one section of blue on my LiveJournal Presto Speaks! looks pink on one of the monitors at work, so monitor settings can make a difference. However, if folks have subs with either Bloglines or Bloglet, the entries show as a default text color, usually black or dark gray or maybe blue, against white. Only the AOL blogs show text colors against white for some reason in my Bloglines subs, which can be very weird when the original was yellow on black and I see yellow on white and then have to highlight to see the text. In any case, I find the subs make it a lot easier to read journals that are a bit too, uh, colorful for me, so that's something folks might want to consider.

And I've noticed a lot of new blogs in Blog Explosion. I saw a number of interesting ones over the weekend when I surfed that I hadn't seen before. The more people who sign up for it, the more fun it is. But I can't wait til there are enough for them to put in the block by type. I really want to block the business and political blogs.

Handled a weird phone call at the reference desk today. Someone called and said he'd gotten a letter from some place in New Jersey (My library is in New York) and he wanted me to tell him what it said. Not being the one who sent it and not having it in front of me, I couldn't tell him, of course, which seemed to confuse him. Oh, gee, I forgot to take my super vision and mindreading pills this morning. Sometimes, you just can't win. And other times, you find just what someone needs. And when they say thank you, it just makes your day. I had a couple of those today, too.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:15 PM

    My job doesn't draw as many interesting people as you encounter, but I see a lot of crazy crap (I'm a paralegal in insurance defense)...and what's up with me? I have NONE of those dorkdom things going on. I did formerly love Star Trek, but lost interest a while ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:25 PM

    Maybe I should lend you my crystal ball? LOL =) Thanks for stopping by my site recently and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are so many patron stories I could tell, but I always feel funny about discussing people online, even anonymously, especially the ones who are clearly mentally ill, even if they're the most interesting ones. One of these days, I'll have to put together an entry on the entertaining interactions with patrons that I do feel comfortable about posting. I should be able to find a few good ones from the last 23 years. :)

    Thanks for visiting, Tam. I'm not into yarn crafts, but your blog is very cool looking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:58 AM

    Ao Shelly...
    exactly what CAN you ask a library reference desk?
    Is it like a live encyclopedia, or more along the lines of 311?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and have a chocolicious day!