Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Sleeping Beauty and Maleficent


Saw "Maleficent" today. Angelina Jolie was perfect in the starring role and Elle Fanning is a delight as Aurora; her smile lit up the theater. This isn't the simplistic fairy tale but a character driven story of love, betrayal, revenge, and redemption.

It also inspired me to pull out the two bits of "Sleeping Beauty" memorabilia I own: the Little Golden Book version of the Disney animated movie and a large format brochure, with a foldout centerfold, from Disneyland, copyright 1957, that my parents brought home for me during a trip they made to California in either 1959 or 1961 or maybe sometime in-between. The brochure is in very worn shape, torn where it was opened and closed too many times over the decades as I read and reread it endlessly, especially opening it to admire the centerfold. The book is marred by my outlining one illustration, something I tended to do when I was a kid.

Sleeping Beauty Castle Brochure

Sleeping Beauty Castle Brochure

Sleeping Beauty Castle Brochure

Sleeping Beauty Castle Brochure

Sleeping Beauty Castle Brochure

Sleeping Beauty Castle Brochure

Sleeping Beauty Castle Brochure Centerfold

Little Golden Book



~~~o0o~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting and have a chocolicious day!