Saturday, August 31, 2013

Snack and a Movie


A friend and I saw the movie "Blue Jasmine" yesterday and enjoyed it muchly. Cate Blanchett gives a brilliant performance as a woman uhinged after her perfect marriage and perfect upper crust life fall apart. With no income, no job, and just out of a sanitarium after a breakdown, she moves in temporarily with her working class sister while she attempts to put her life back together. But life and her own inability to cope work against her. This is one of Woody Allen's best films in a while.

After, we went for a snack at the Doughnut Plant. I'd been wanting to try their donuts but hadn't gotten around to visiting their downtown location, but they added a second location on West 23rd St. in Manhattan, conveniently located a block or so from a movie theater, thus making it an excellent place for a post-movie snack. The variety was impressive, and there were a number of choices for confirmed chocoholics. I selected a triple chocolate and was not disappointed. This chocolicious confection was moist and rich with chocolate goodness. I need to go back and try the other chocolate options, and perhaps some of the non-chocolate donuts, too.




~~~o0o~~~

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:05 AM

    I can'tsay I like the look of that black doughnut. It reminds me of the black puddings they eat in the north of England, I had tasted them grilled in the South of England but was shocked to see that they boiled them in the north.

    I think we are 60 years away from Kennedy's Ich bin ein Berliner speech. Unfortunately that translates from German as I am a doughnut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The doughnut definitely didn't taste like pudding. It was a nice rich chocolate cake-like doughnut! :)

      Delete
  2. Anonymous7:59 AM

    I'm sure it didn't! The northern black puddings are a type of sausage made from barley,herbs and pig's blood. The Germans have their own version of them called Blutwurst or ,ore commonly and rather PC incorrectly as 'Negerpimmel'. The Berliner Ballen is a delicious German doughnut often shortened to Berliner hence ich bin ein Berliner is quite funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info. I won't think of ich bin ein Berliner the same way ever again. :)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting and have a chocolicious day!