Friday, November 12, 2010

Fifteen Films that Stuck with Me


Figured I needed a post here, so might as well do this.


I wasn't tagged and I'm not going to tag anyone. I did the 15 books, I believe, but I don't think I've done this, at least, not in recent memory. I could probably do this over and over and not name the same exact ones each time.


The rules, abbreviated: List the first fifteen you can recall in no more than fifteen minutes.


1. 2001 (We were 4 families going together, then dinner at Mama Leone's after. Ah, the debates we had over its meaning. I read the book because of that film, then most of the rest of Clarke's books.)

2. The House on Haunted Hill (with Vincent Price). (I probably saw this on TV as part of the Million Dollar Movie that ran in the afternoons in the '60s. Scared the crap out of me.)

3. Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte (Saw it in the theater with friends when I was a kid. Also scared the crap out of me, mostly the opening sequence with a very young Bruce Dern!)

4. Psycho (Saw that when I was a kid, too. I'll never forget the moment when we got to see Mother's corpse! I could name a number of other Hitchcock movies, too.)

5. American Graffiti (Saw this for film class in college. First, and only, time I really analyzed a film. We had to choose from a list of features to write about. I chose casting and lighting.)

6. Star Wars (How could I not remember this?)

7. Raiders of the Lost Ark (When I went to the movies in the '60s, they were still showing serials. This brought them all back for me.)

8. The Producers (the original) (I can't remember when I wasn't a Mel Brooks fan.)

9. A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (I saw this on stage, too, but well after the original cast had left. This is probably my favorite Zero Mostel movie.)

10. A Night at the Opera (I could name any Marx Brothers movie. Duck Soup, especially for the mirror sequence, is a close second.)

11. Battle Beyond the Stars (So awful, it stuck in my memory for all time. I like to think of it as "Giant Fallopian Tubes in Space.")

12. Laura (I lost count years ago on how many times I've seen this brilliant Otto Preminger movie. Probably the most copied plot for a crime story ever.)

13. Serenity (The sequel to the much lamented Firefly series was much loved and appreciated.)

14. Superman (The first, with Christopher Reeve)

15. Batman Begins (The best reboot of a movie franchise I can think of, and one of the best adaptations of a comic book. Iron Man is another.)

Had a real spooky nightmare last night, one that held a bizarre fascination for me. I've had a couple of recurring library dreams over the years. I'm sure everyone has a work nightmare or two. In one, people not only were eating in the library -- a no-no -- but one person was getting served a catered meal! In the other, I can't get people to leave and they keep multiplying. Well, last night, I dreamed a new version of the second dream. I'd forgotten to lock the door when I left, so when I went back with the staff member I was with to check the door, we found it unlocked, the lights on, and dozens upon dozens of people inside and they would not leave. Chilling.

Feeling: tired


~~~o0o~~~

2 comments:

  1. I worked in a public library over 20 years ago, but I sometimes dream that I'm there again and I'm completely overwhelmed because I don't know what I'm doing. How strange that such a wonderful place can cause us such unpleasant dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think any workplace can give us enough anxiety to cause nightmares or at least, strange dreams. My vacation ends on Monday. I think I'm not ready to go back. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and have a chocolicious day!