Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Caprica


Sometimes, I don't know where to post things. Since this is about a TV show, a canceled TV show, I'll post it here.

This article on the death of Caprica, the prequel to Battlestar Galatica, is thoughtful, but some things said rub me wrong. This, for instance:
"In “Battlestar Galactica,” the lines were more clear-cut, and no matter what the humans did to the Cylons, they were human. They were automatically the good guys, at least initially. “Caprica” was simply too ambitious and too ambiguous."
Things are bad, indeed, when too ambitious and too ambiguous are deathly to TV shows. Characters were ambiguous on BG, too, especially Gaius. But that wasn't clear for the first couple of seasons. For a while, everything did look simple, unambiguous. Good vs. evil. Right vs. wrong. And yet, not everyone was as they first appeared. Caprica was just more upfront about that, more in your face with life's ambiguities.

And this:
"“Caprica” was no longer a show about the origins of the Cylons. It was a show about religious zealotry and how it turned scientific advancement into a tool for their terrorist activities and justification for their vision of utopia."
That was one of the things I loved most about the show. Sure I wanted to know the origins of the Cylons, but religion was a big part of Battlestar Galactica and to not have it be a big part of Caprica would have been disappointing for me. And this is an issue -- zealotry -- that resonates with me. It's something I want to write about in fiction. It matters to me.

Everything the article points out as hurting the show is what made it work for me. But as the viewership figures show, I was in a decided minority. It's a shame. I wanted to see how the Cylons came to be and what led to the human/Cylon war.

Damn, I'm gonna miss that show.

Feeling: sad

~~~o0o~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting and have a chocolicious day!