Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Matters of Perception

If I said I made chicken and rice for dinner, people who know me in real life would be impressed because I am far from being a domestic goddess. But it would be less impressive if I said I made Rice-a-Roni with store-bought roast chicken for dinner, which was actually what I did and it tasted yummy.

I've mentioned, mostly on Twitter, I think, that I've been enjoying reconnecting with people I went to school with. Some people said they'd be happy if they never had contact with former schoolmates ever. And I can understand that because I used to feel that way. There were a few people I did want to reconnect with (and I did with one) and a few others I was happy to reconnect with but I wouldn't have been heartbroken if I hadn't. And there are plenty, mostly the kids -- mostly, boys! -- who teased me unmercifully when I was growing up. But then I got into my 50s and realized, I don't care about that. I was curious about them. Are they successes? Failures? Did they get old and fat? Did the boys go bald? Did the girls?! And to the point, would they remember me?

I've now had pleasant chats on Facebook with a number of former classmates. One was with one of those boys who teased me and didn't remember it, but he apologized for it, anyway. After 40 and more years, to get an apology! Oh did that feel good. And it made me realize something about myself that I rather like. I don't hold grudges. I sort of knew that, but it was nice to have it reinforced.

Now some of us are talking about our 40th high school class reunion. We're all grown up and have gone on with our lives, although some didn't make it, sadly. How much will we view each other through younger eyes and how much will we see each other as we are now, in 2010? I hope the reunion happens, because I can't wait to find out the answer to that question.

Feeling: mellow

~~~o0o~~~
Technorati Tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting and have a chocolicious day!