Sunday, January 15, 2006

Sunday Update

After nearly 2 years of blogging, could I actually have run out of clever subject lines? It sure seems that way lately.

My father and his ladyfriend came over this afternoon. We'd planned to go out to dinner, but it was so nasty cold out that we ordered in Chinese food, from the next on our list to try. We ordered spicier dishes this time and the food was pretty good. Not great, but the best so far in our hunt for a new favorite place now that the old one is gone.

I pulled out my photo albums to show Dad's ladyfriend photos of him when he was younger, and of course me and my sister when we were kids. She got a real kick out of seeing them. And I was horrified to see how faded the color ones had gotten. I must scan in all those thousands of photos and see if I can fix the color on the best of the bunch. I'd hate to lose them.

So, it was a nice day, and while I didn't get much done, I also didn't fritter the hours away with blogging or flickr, which is my latest addiction. Which is still better than in the past when my time-waster was FreeCell.

Feeling:

~~~o0o~~~

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:41 AM

    Hi!
    Found your blog through Blogexplosion - anything with chocolate catches my eye!

    On the subject of photos, have you checked what kind of album your photos are in? A lot of the older ones have acids in them which can deteriorate (sp?) your photos. Those albums 'magnetic' albums with the sticky paper and plastic sheet over the top are particularly bad for photos. But scanning them now is a fantastic idea as well. Hope this helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kirsten,

    Glad you found Cyber Chocolate. :)

    As for the photos, it doesn't matter what the albums are at this point. The photos are up to 40 or more years old. Some of the color ones are fine while others in the same album aren't, which means a lot has to do with the paper and photo processing at the time. The albums I have with magnetic pages are the older ones with black and white photos and those are actually in great shape, many are 50 years old now. It's the color ones in the last magnetic album and the archival albums with plastic sleeves that are getting bad. And the albums are also falling apart. The glue in the spine gave way on one and the whole spine came off. But since there's no other place for them, in the albums they must stay for now.

    I have at least 15 albums with anywhere from 75-200 photos in each. I may need a year off just to do the scanning. In the '70s, I took photos of all our older photos to get negatives of them. Now I'll be doing the same thing to get them onto CD. It'll take a looooong time, but should be worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and have a chocolicious day!