Sunday, July 10, 2005

Fanlisting: Stargates

I plan to do one of these a week, but this time, I'm combining two: Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis. I have to admit that when the first episode of SG-1 aired, I watched only out of curiosity. I'd loved the movie and Kurt Russell and James Spader were fixed in my mind as Jack and Daniel. The first show was graphic in its violence, which normally doesn't bother me, but it had little to keep my attention, so the violence seemed to define it. I watched with disinterest for a few episodes, then suddenly, about a half dozen shows into season 1, I realized I was enjoying myself. The show was growing on me and I realized, too, that old fav Richard Dean Anderson and new (to me) hunk Michael Shanks, were more suited to keeping the characters around longterm to grow and change. Now, 9 years later, new characters will be coming in, but the show's rich mythos and solid writing, and a lighthearted bent that developed over the past few seasons, have made it a must-watch show for me.

Atlantis is now icing on the cake, a spinoff that quickly established itself as its own show with its own threats and solid cast of characters/actors. The SF Channel has another winner. And in Joe Flanigan, I've got a new lust object.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:14 AM

    My hubby watches it periodically. I've tried but just can't seem to get into it. That's just me though, unless it's a modern drama, I just have trouble watching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been a big science fiction fan all my life and Stargate is a nice fit with that. But I understand it's not for everyone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:27 AM

    I've been working my way through the series in DVD during lunchtime at work. I've really enjoyed it. I haven't watched any of the Atlantis yet, but will eventually.

    Watching DVD's at lunchtime makes it so much easier to face those afternoon patrons! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now there's a thought! :) But still, lunchtime is my walking around and shopping time. Unless it's pouring rain.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and have a chocolicious day!