Wednesday, March 30, 2005

The Sun! The Sun!

I saw it today. And blue sky. And it was in the 50s. And I finally got to the gym. Okay, I just did a half hour on the treadmill and at a lower speed than usual, but after 3 months of no gym, I was glad to just get some exercise.

Picked up latest issue of Wizard (a comics mag for those who don't know) and there was an article on the new Crisis mini-series DC is doing this fall. It's gonna be another one of those "people will die" "big events" the way "Crisis on Infinite Earths" was back in '85 when Flash and Supergirl were killed. When Supergirl died (I never did finish reading the series), I stopped reading comics, except Titans, for 10 years. I stopped reading Titans in '91 when it got depressing and nasty, which meant I didn't read comic books at all from '91 to '95. I read my first comic when I was 7, back in 1960. Not reading comics was odd. I saved money, I had more time (I'd been reading 30 comics a month when I quit), but I missed them terribly. I hope they don't kill any characters who helped me get interested in giving DC Comics another try (I read some non-DC ones now, too), because I don't want to give them up again. But I will. I'll read just the one or two that might still have characters I like and that will be it. I understand that they want to put the other characters through an emotional wringer, but comics aren't just stories and the characters are very real to me. The characters are why I read comics. Take away the ones I want to read about and I have no reason to keep reading.

Tomorrow morning, I'll be New Jersey bound. Will try to blog while away, will see how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:30 PM

    Hi Shelly,

    I'm trying out this blogging thing today because it's Friday and we're getting up to no good at work. It's sunny and warm here in Daytona during the mornings. The rest of the day it's all about the rain. Heaven forbid we should have a day without rain and everyone starts squealing about drought. That's why I hate spring - too much rain.

    My folks wouldn't allow me to read to read comics when I was little so I had to sneak them into the house when I finally got a job and a car. I read Tales of the Teen Titans and X-Men version of Tales (reprinted stories - I forgot what it was called). At first I enjoyed them, but eventually they all got too depressing and soap operaish. I also read the old Star Wars comics for a while, but I vaguely remember that series ending rather abruptly. I tried reading the Dark Horse Star Wars series, but I hated the storyline and the artwork. Funny thing is, I was at a con about two years ago (Media West?), when I found the graphic novel of Luke Skywalker's wedding. I splurged for that and it was actually quite good. I just loaned it to a mutual friend of ours the other day.

    Maybe it's time to dip back into comics? Now that I don't have to sneak them into the house anymore?

    We'll see.

    LC

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and have a chocolicious day!