Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Chocolicious Tidbits and Other Matters

Impulsive Buy had a fun review of Nabisco's Chips Ahoy! Cremewich cookies. They do sound tasty, so I guess I'll have to get a pack. As soon as I finish off the yellow cake with chocolate butter creme icing I took home from Sunday's Chanukah party.

~~~*~~~*~~~

Lots of book and publishing blogs had entries on Tom Wolfe's award-winning bad sex scene in his book I Am Charlotte Simmons and his saying he wrote the scene as ironic sex and included a quote from him about it:
"There's an old saying - 'You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her
sing'," he told Reuters. "In this case, you can lead an English literary wannabe
to irony but you can't make him get it."

This is really starting to bug me. I do not know this "old saying." I do know the Dorothy Parker quote, from the Algonguin Roundtable days when she and her fellow Roundtablers were playing "Give me a sentence with," and she had the word "horticulture," and came up with: "You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think." See, the key here is that she rhymed the original, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink." Using "sing" at the end throws off the rhythm of the thing. It just sounds so wrong.

~~~*~~~*~~~

Chillies and Chocolate is a nice sketch blog brought to my attention by Fishbucket, which also mentioned this cool blog, Sugar and Spicy.

Oooo, Blog of a Book Slut linked to this item re: a sarcasm point. I want. I want.

And for the three of you left who don't know: The next Harry Potter book is due to be published on 7/16/05.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting and have a chocolicious day!