Sunday, September 26, 2004

Feeding Frenzy

Otherwise known as the break fast. Today was Yom Kippur, Jewish Day of Atonement, a solemn occasion that began yesterday at sundown. Well, technically, two days ago, since I just noticed it is now after midnight and therefore, Sunday. So the holiday started at sundown Friday and concluded an hour after sundown on Saturday and fasting is part of the holiday.

First, at the start of the holiday, candles that burn through the full day are lit to honor the dead. Hubby and I lit one each for our mothers. We each picked a candle -- they basically were the same, but we designated one per mother. So his lit up nicely first try. Mine didn't. First, it took a while to get the match lit, then the wick wouldn't catch. Then the second match went out before it got to the wick. It took four tries to finally get the wick burning and I could swear I heard my mother laugh. If there is an afterlife, she was blowing the damn thing out. My mother had a great sense of humor. Maybe it was her way of telling me enough is enough already, it's been 22 years since she died.

I would say it was God's doing, blowing out the match, but I don't believe in God. There, I said it. And because I don't, I'm not big on keeping the holidays. I got married in a Jewish ceremony, and I won't work on the high holy days, but I can't fast anymore. If there is a god, he or she wouldn't want me screwing up my digestive system any more than it already is. So I eat, but lightly.

The tradition for the last dozen years or so is to go to my sister's house for break fast. This year, Yom Kippur coincided with my niece's 11th birthday, so the food orgy included birthday cake. There was a lot of food. I was pretty good, having just an onion bialy with lox and cream cheese and a spoonful of egg salad and some carrots and broccoli on the side. And then there were the desserts.

I don't socialize well, I don't know many of the people there, and in such situations, if the food is good, and even if it's not, I eat. Too much. This is one time I can usually count on my sister serving food I can identify, traditional fare. And so I overindulged by the time the night was done and I will pay for this in the next day or so, I'm sure. I just have to tell myself it was worth it. I hadn't had a bialy in years and this was a good one.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll go off and digest for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting and have a chocolicious day!