Saturday, September 05, 2015

Labor Day Weekend


The DJs on the classic rock radio station I listen to are worked up about Tuesday and the end of summer. I get that for a lot of people, summer is effectively over come Tuesday. But since I graduated high school, the Labor Day weekend didn't mean much to me. For most of my college years, I didn't get enough credits/classes during the fall and spring semesters, so I ended up taking a summer school class for two years. When I was in grad school. I worked an hourly job that summer. Even after I joined the workforce permanently, I didn't take summer vacations, maybe just a week or two. And now I'm retired, so I don't have to worry about time off.

Summer still has three weeks to go before it relinquishes the calendar to autumn here in the northern hemisphere. It's still kinda hot. Actually, it's been hotter the end of this August than the early part of August and certainly hotter at the end of August and early September than I can recall from previous years. So, it's not like a switch is being turned and summer will suddenly be gone.

My favorite times of year are spring and fall. Spring for the few weeks of temperate weather before summer-like heat slams into us (earlier and earlier each year, thanks to climate change) and for the renewal of life: returning birds, flowers and trees blooming, more hours of sunlight. Fall for the temperate weather and.... well, that's pretty much it, actually. Fall still seems to have more temperate weeks than spring does, and for that, I'm most grateful. I could do without the shortening of daylight hours, though.

Every season has its pros and cons, and sorry, summer, much as I love you, I can do nicely without your oppressive heat and humidity.

And in the meantime, there's something I'm really looking forward to on Tuesday. That's when Stephen Colbert starts his tenure as host of The Late Show on CBS.


~~~o0o~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting and have a chocolicious day!