Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Department of Random Thoughts


Because I don't have any one thing to blog about, I offer these bits from my brain.


  • I've been wondering if anyone's ever done a study on why dark chocolate, marshmallows, and caramel taste so good together.
  • I find it interesting how I've come full circle, once again playing with dolls like I did when I was little, but now I take photos of them and they have clothes that cost more than mine.
  • After more than 3 months of not playing Cityville, I logged into the game to take one last look at my beloved city before pulling the plug, and got sucked into playing it regularly again. Cityville: I can't quit you.
  • Every time I think retiring was the wrong thing to do, a former colleague tells me about some idiocy going on at the library and I remember why I retired in the first place. Thank you, former colleague, for making me feel better.
  • I do miss talking about books with my favorite library patrons, though.


I think that's it for now. My brain feels sufficiently empty for the moment. ;)

Feeling: mellow

~~~o0o~~~

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:19 AM

    As an occasional reader of your log I'm sorry to see you are not altogether enjoying retirement. I do feel rather the same so I am not surprised.

    I'm sure you have seen coursera.org, Certificated coursed offered by American Universities. I am just finishibg ny first two. One on modern American poetry - good course terrible poetry and the other n formal scientific writing. In the near future (days or perhaps weeks) an Astronomy course is starting and , more interesting still an ExoBiology one. They are not long just about 10 weeks.
    How is your health now? Do you worry that with your enormous chocolate intake and getting a little older that you run the risk of type two diabetes? Without any idea at all of how you look I somehow assume you are very thin which makes the risk less. Anyway your love of chocolate may make it worth it! Enjoy retirement

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:29 AM

    As an occasional reader of this blog may I say sorry to read you are not enjoying your retirement but I have to admit to similar feelings. I don't know if you are aware of coursera.org. Free certificated courses on line from american Universities. They are usually about two months long. I just finished one on modern american poetry Good course - terrible poets. Starting very shortly are courses on Astronomy (I may even leant to spell it) and Exobiology.
    You did have a few health problems last time I read your blog regularly. I do hope that is now all behind you. You aren't concerned about adult onset diaetes (type two) are you? It's just that a huge choc intake and getting a little older does increase the risk. chocolate may be worth it! My obsession is motorcycles and I think we do accept a slightly increased risk for things we enjoy.
    Do enjoy retirement - I am trying to and perhaps I'll see you contributing to coursera.forums.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind words! My health is pretty good right now, though my blood pressure has gone up so I'm on meds for that. High BP runs in my family, so it was likely it would become an issue for me at some point. I've never been close to being diabetic, though we have that in my family, too.

    I don't think I could deal with taking classes. It's hard enough sitting myself down to catch up with my fun reading. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and have a chocolicious day!