Sunday, December 27, 2009

My Favorite Cookies

IMG_4086I was feeling nostalgic, so got a box of Mallomars
. Mallomars aren't really cookies, more like mini, well, not quite cakes, either. They're confections made of crackers and marshmallows dipped in dark chocolate, and they're only sold in the cold months so they won't melt on store shelves. They were my mother's favorite cookie and they're one of my favorites. I haven't eaten any in years because, to be honest, I can eat an entire box in one sitting. They're not healthy for me to have around.

My other favorite cookies are Oreos, chocolate chip, bakery cookies (see below), and Sprinkle Cookies. I don't know if the latter are made anymore, but they were thin, soft chocolate crackers, marshmallows, and chocolate sprinkles (Jimmies, for parts of the country), and I could eat a box of those in one sitting, too. Actually, that's true for all my favorite cookies. And Milanos Dark Chocolate are a close runner-up.

milkcookiesOreos are the perfect dunk-in-milk cookie. I also love taking them apart, eating the icing, then the cookie halves.

Chocolate Chip cookies come in many forms (I love Entenmann's and Friehofer's), but homemade is best. I use the Joy of Cooking recipe and apparently, I'm not the only one.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Bakery cookies refer to the cookies I grew up eating. My paternal grandfather was a baker and the kind of cookies I love are East European Jewish style, although you can get them almost anywhere in NYC now. And here's a nice, if a bit racy(!) site that is a nice guide to many of these treats.

Cookies in a Bag IMG_7395

Milanos also come in many varieties, but I prefer regular and double chocolate.

Four on a Cookie

And finally, no discussion of cookies is complete without Black and Whites, best when bought from a good, kosher bakery. Greenberg's is my favorite bakery for them.

Black and White Cookie

Feeling: chocolicious

~~~o0o~~~
Technorati Tags:

2 comments:

  1. You always manage to make me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh. I make myself hungry, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and have a chocolicious day!