Monday, December 03, 2007

Chanukah, O Chanukah

Tomorrow at sundown, we Jews start celebrating Chanukah, the Festival of Lights (and celebration of the Jewish victory of the Maccabees over the Syrians). My favorite memories of the holiday while growing up was lighting the Menorah candles with my younger sister at my grandparents' home and collecting gelt (money, coins when we were little, dollars as we got older) for our efforts, and eating potato latkes (fried pancakes). I don't know if any of these recipes are any good. My grandmother made them from scratch as I recall, but I don't have the recipe and my mother used a mix, mostly, as did I a couple of times many years ago. These days, I prefer someone else go through the trouble of making them. ;)

Feeling:

~~~o0o~~~
Technorati Tags:

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:56 AM

    Mmm, potato latkes. Happy Chanukah, a day early.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Should I wish the same to you? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and have a chocolicious day!