Saturday, November 27, 2004

I Know I'm Getting Old When...

When I was a kid, time moved quickly when I was doing something I enjoyed: playing with my friends, watching TV, reading, seeing a movie.... And it moved sl-ow-ly when I was doing something I didn't much enjoy: sitting in school listening to a boring teacher, having to do homework, doing chores.... And the years went slowly, too. It seemed to take forever to be an adult and able to move out and be on my own.

When I got older, the same held true. The fun things were mostly the same, but the things that were boring were now: work, trying to stay awake during boring meetings....

So when did the workday start to zip along? Sure, it starts slowly enough, but at some point, I look at the clock and am startled to see it's 3 or 4 p.m. Sure, some days just drag, but others, like today which had threatened to be a real slow one, seem to fly by in an eyeblink. And the years? Where do they go? How did it get to be the end of November when it was just July?

When did all this happen and why wasn't I sent a memo?

I must be getting old.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:11 AM

    John likes to say that when he was a kid and school let out for the summer, he used to wonder how he was going to fill all that free time. That changed, of course, as he got older.

    Now he's unemployed, so theoretically he's got lots of free time. He still doesn't get around to things he's been putting off for lack of time--like writing. Just like I can't seem to accomplish anything much on this day off.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and have a chocolicious day!