Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Family Dinner

One of my mother's cousins, M, and his wife were in NY, visiting my father, so we got together for dinner tonight. Hubby was at the US Open, which was fine, as it gave me a chance to talk family talk which would've probably bored him. This was my mother's favorite cousin and he's one of those guys who's always been so full of life, you can't believe anyone could be that enthusiastic about every little thing, but he is, and it's sincere. He's also the biggest tease who enjoys plenty of sexual innuendo. I always enjoyed the banter, but it isn't for everyone. He's in in 70s now, so each visit is precious to me.

Part of the evening we talked about E. I blogged about E's recent death a short while ago here. E was married to M's younger sister. We talked about what kind of cancer he'd had -- a fast acting form of leukemia -- since I hadn't known that detail. I told M and his wife the story of how E had given me my first real kiss. And then I told him how I'd looked E's obit up online because he'd had a fairly important job and I'd been sure I would find some.

I normally don't reveal personal details online, but E was one of those people who has influenced the lives of millions without their knowing about it. He worked in the business/development end of the music industry and it was gratifying reading all the wonderful things said about him in those obits. He was called a pioneer. People thought he was a great guy -- he was, warm and friendly, and not above a bit of teasing, himself. And many years ago, he worked on a project, pulling industry manufacturers and suppliers together in a consortium to standardize the next music format so there wouldn't be a repeat of the videotape wars (I'm sure there are folks out there who still remember Beta vs VHS) and before that, cassettes vs 8-track. One format usually ends up winning, but not before a lot of money has been spent, equipment and product manufactured and bought by consumers. E helped make sure the next music format would be the one format.

So next time you listen to a CD, or watch the later product, DVD, maybe you'll think for a moment about E and how he helped make that possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting and have a chocolicious day!