Thursday, August 26, 2004

Let's Talk Women's Clothes: A Rant

Specifically, women's skirts.

I made my first foray of the fall clothing season yesterday by taking a quick look in Macy's. What I saw, or rather, what I didn't see, does not bode well for my chance to spark the local economy by spending money this fall, because if this is how the rest of the season will be, the only things I'll be buying is maybe another pair of boots and a sweater or two.

I need skirts. I, however, do not need, nor can I wear the things hanging on racks in the guise of skirts. I do not like suit type skirts. They tend to not fit me right. I do not like skirts that don't sit on the waist. Most of what I've been seeing in the past year or two are skirts that sit on mid-hip. I have no clue why they don't fall down.

I am a practical dresser. For over twenty years, I haven't carried my keys or a wallet in my shoulder bag. I carry it in a pocket of skirts or pants. In recent years, though, finding a skirt with a pocket large enough and sturdy enough to carry a wallet comfortably is almost impossible. From what I saw yesterday, this might be the year "almost" gets dropped out of that statement.

And if I'm fortunate to find a skirt with a decent pocket or two, they are the size of belts on steroids. I'm sorry. Even when I was a teen, I couldn't wear skirts that short. Along with making me a woman, puberty also gave me thighs. The heavy thighs of my father's mother's side of the family, a group of zoftig women if ever you saw any. Above the waist, I take after my mother's thinner, more proportioned female family members, which means I've been mostly two sizes--the above the waist size and the below the waist size which has meant it's nearly impossible for me to get dresses to fit without serious alterations. Which is why I mostly wear skirts and tops. Bringing me back to my current dilemma (not that dresses have pockets or decent pockets, either). Pockets. And decorative pockets that would hardly hold a folded tissue don't count.

I can still fit into the fashionable Misses clothes. I don't want to shop in the women's section. I try to dress suitably for my age, but I'll be damned if I have to go to the formless styles that make a woman look four times her age. And finding pockets in those skirts is just as difficult.

Is it too much to ask that someone make practical clothes for women who work but still want a sporty look?

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:25 PM

    Shelley,

    Part of the problem is the fact you live in the self-styled "Fashion Capitol of the World" (I oft-times wonder what Paris, Milan and Hong Kong think about THAT). Part of the problem is your age - you are over 20. Part of the problem is unreasonable expectations, given the truth of the two prior statements - you are NOT the target market for current fashion. And part of the problem is a NYC centric-focus that prevents you from considering other sources of attractive, well-made, affordable clothing.

    For instance, there's the Downeast solution: L.L. Bean

    http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=23672&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=6193&cat4=6190&shop_method=pp&feat=dp27

    There's the Oregonian solution:

    http://www.pendleton-usa.com/index.cfm?action=shop&cat=g&startrow=1

    Land's End has 30 varieties of Misses Skirts:

    http://www.landsend.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?search=misses+skirts&store=le&action=newSearch&sid=8997016493235123060&SearchSubmit.x=0&SearchSubmit.y=0&taborstore=all

    No, not many have pockets. That's why women have "pocketbooks" and "purses".

    Good luck with your search... I understand the problem, but solutions exist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:42 PM

    Hi Shelly - I hate buying clothes too. My problem is in the waist. Have you considered finding someone to custom make your skirts for you? Maybe go to a fabric store and pick out a pattern you like and have someone make it for you? Just a thought - Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:37 AM

    Hmm, I recognize the dilemma, but can't offer you a solution. I am one of those women that (due to my job)wear jeans. I have found that Eddie Bauer makes jeans that ACTUALLY FIT me!! I have the round derrier and big hips and thighs of my maternal parentage, but I'm short. I really wonder if EB carries skirts....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:39 AM

    Sorry, that last comment about EB was from me, fingers worked before brain engaged ;-)
    ~Turtle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Turtle,
    I've tried Eddie Bauer. Their jeans and pants don't fit. I have to go up more sizes than I care to in order for them to fit my hips, and then the waist is too big and I have to pay for shortening.

    I used to wear their skirts, until they got both too short or too long. I hate paying for shortening when clothes cost so much and it's $20 here to get a skirt shortened -- no, I don't sew, don't own a seweing machine. And their long skirts are too tight in the hips, anyway.

    Their tops are almost worse, with sleeves that are too long and poor fitting shoulders--I'm small on top and even their extra small size is often too big for me. And with skirts, they seem to be moving away from nice size pockets, too, or they come only on the skirts that fall above the knee, which I can't wear.

    It seems as if whenever I find a brand or designer I like, who makes clothes that are practical yet stylish and fit me well, they stop making them.

    I'm just tired of being a shortish tho average size woman and yet not being able to find clothes I like. I can't wear big sizes, but I'm not a skinny little thing, either. Grrrr.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:11 PM

    I'm laughing! The only solution I have to offer is this; when you find an item you like, break the bank to buy it out of stock!
    ~Turtle

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and have a chocolicious day!